House Plants/Azaleas

I also received Azaleas without instructions. I live in a very dry area of Colorado that gets alot of sun. When you say the plant needs to be on a window sill with alot of sun, do you mean south, or east? My north windows rarely have any direct sun, but I fear the south windows might get too hot?
Also what type of fertilizer is best and how often do you recommend using it?
Thank you

Hi Kathleen,

If your Azalea is on a windowsill and the window is completely uncovered, then an east or north windowsill is best. South sun on sunny days is too hot and too intense.

Be sure to keep your Azalea well moistened by watering as soon as the surface of the soil feels almost dry.

Fertilizing it is largely irrelevant. However, it is best to use an acidic fertilizer, such as Mir-acid, at half strength no more than once monthly.

Finally, I will note that it is important to keep your Azalea well pruned to maintain it as a compact, full plant.

I have written a detailed article on Azalea care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College