House Plants/bugs and webs on indoor rose bush

Question
I brought my small rose bush in the house for the winter.  I have noticed little tiny flying bugs in the room.  Also there are webs on the branches.  All the leaves fell off.  It starts to grow new leaves but shortly get limp and fall off.  What can I do?

Answer
Corlinda
Get to your local garden center (not chain store) & see what they recommend for spider mites (webbing is indicative of mites)...Flying bugs could be gnats.
Either way start watering the plant properly. Water by weight. Put a saucer under the pot. Water and let the plant sit in the excess water for 5-10 minutes. After that time pour off any excess water in the saucer. Pick up or lean the pot. It should feel heavy. Don't water again until it feels considerably lighter in weight.  Indoors check it every 3-10 days. Watering frequency depends on many factors(type of plant, light exposure, temps, humidity, etc.). Plants are killed by too frequent waterings - Not from how much water you give them at one time...Soak and let dry in between waterings...
Spray mist the foliage of the plant once a week to increase humidity around the plant...
Most indoor tropical plants require you to add fertilize on a weekly to monthly basis during the growing season. Visit your local garden center (not chain store) and see what they recommend for your particular plant...
Keep your eye out for more bug problems and retreat if necessary...
Hope this helps...
Rick in southern NJ USA

House Plants

Richard Hern