House Plants/Chinese Evergreen

Is it detrimental to repot the chinese evergreen? my wife purchased on and is contemplating repotting it. They came in a single bucket but have a couple small plastic pots which contain the root systems. She wants to know if these small pots can be removed.

Hi Steve,

As a general rule, it is best to leave root systems undisturbed whenever possible. That means not repotting unless absolutely necessary. Potted plants variably do better when they are kept quite potbound.

From your description, I assume the individual Aglaonema cuttings were rooted in very small plastic mesh baskets and then transferred and placed together in  larger pot. If so, there is no reason to remove the mesh baskets. They are not causing harm in any way. So it is best that you leave your Chinese Evergreen as it is and avoid the many hazards that accompany unnecessary and improper repotting.

Keep your Chinese Evergreen in bright, but indirect light. Protect it from temps below 60 degrees F. Water whenever the top quarter of the soil feels dry. This is a pretty easy plant to care for as long as it is not exposed to direct sun falling on its leaves and it is not over watered. In time, the stems may become tall and leggy. The stems can be pruned back to a height of a few inches above the soil and new growth will sprout at that point. The top cuttings root readily in plain water.

I have written detailed articles on repotting and on Chinese Evergreen care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College