House Plants/dracaena plant

hi will please help me if you can I have a dracaena marginata house plant, i bought it about 3 months ago from a supermarket to go into my conservatory .
it was growing well until a few days ago and now all of a sudden the leaves are falling off in there droves, it is still in the same 8in pot I bought it in, the leaves look healthy what is the problem or am I doing something wrong ive only watered it sparingly

Hi Tony,

Sudden leaf drop by a Dracaena marginata can be caused by improper watering, exposure to cold or inadequate light.

Marginatas must be positioned very close to and directly in front of an uncovered window. A cold draft will cause sudden leaf drop. Keep temps above 60 degrees at all times and away from drafts.

Everyone has their own subjective definition of watering "sparingly" so I have no idea how you are watering. Your Marginata should be watered thoroughly as soon as the top half-inch of soil feels quite dry. Either under or over watering can cause leaf drop.

I have written a detailed article on Marginata care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: <a href="">A link to</

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College