House Plants/indoor/outdoor yucca plant

Question
I bought this yucca plant last summer. left it outside until cool weather.  I notice lately the spiked leaves are dying and turning yellow on one side. but...I also have new growth. I live in a four season region.  also, I have a lemon tree that I lost all leaves. is that normal until warm weather I can put it out? thanks for your help

Answer
Hi Catherine,

Most plants struggle to adapt to being moved outside in warm weather and back inside in cold weather. The primary reason is the dramatic change in light. Outdoor light is many times more intense than indoor sunlight. New leaves adapt themselves to the available light when they emerge. If that light subsequently changes, then those lease leaves struggle to adapt.

Plants that are kept in appropriate light indoors year round do best. If you do move your plants outside, try to minimize the difference in light by keeping them in front of a sunny window when indoors and in shade when outdoors. Even so, expect to see some leaf discoloration with each change. Significant pruning just prior to moving the plants each season will also help minimize the leaf loss.

I have written detailed articles on moving plants outside, pruning and on Yucca care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed