House Plants/Ponytail palm

My vessel that I got my plant in, broke. I need to know, what type of soil do I need.  The plant, I just love it, and it is doing fine.  I, just don't want to take any chances.    Thank you, for your help.  Rachel Hass, 1330 Tom Joy Rd, Clover, SC 29710...

Hi Rachel,

You want to make as few changes as possible. If the rootball is still intact, then find another pot that is the same size as the original so that adding new soil will not be necessary.

If some of the soil spilled out, still use the same sized pot and add just enough soil to replace what was lost. Do not remove any other soil from the rootball. The potting mix should be half peat moss and half perlite blended together.

If you have already proceeded to remove or rinse away most or all of the original soil, then you have undoubtedly damaged most of the tiny root hairs that do most of the work. In that case, your Ponytail may not recover.

I have written detailed articles on repotting and on Ponytail Palm care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College