House Plants/pruning and repotting houseplants

Question
I live on Long Island, NY.  I have many houseplants that are now in need of pruning and/or re-potting.  Do I need to wait until the spring before I can do this, or can I do it now?  Thanks for your help.

Answer
Jewel,

It would be better if you waited till after March 1st when the days are getting longer and your plants are beginning to start growing. If you are only pruning and not repotting that can begin after February 1st but repotting should not start till after March 1st. When you repot you should move the plant to a pot with a diameter no more than 2 inches larger than the diameter of the pot you are taking it out of. If you really do not want the plant to grow any larger you can remove it from it's current pot and cut 1 inch off the root ball all the way around then repot it in the same pot or a new pot that is the same size with new soil. All plants should be in pots with large drain holes and a drain tray under them and when you water the plant the drain tray should always be emptied an hour after watering it. Sitting in water can rot the roots and kill your plants. If you have any additional questions feel free to write again. Good luck!

Darlene

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle