House Plants/Coral cactus with brown spots

Question
coral cactus
coral cactus  
I think I neglected my coral cactus and it now has dry brown spots all over the fanned part. Will it recover if I water it regularly from now on, or do I need to cut out the brown spots or cut anything off the plant?

Answer
Hi Elise,

The brown patches are caused by root damage due to improper watering. Unfortunately, damaged plant tissue never recovers. However, the spots are not a disease and are not likely to spread if you get the watering under control. Cutting out the spots will not accomplish anything except to make your Coral cactus look like Swiss cheese! So, I'm afraid you are going to have to live with the way it is now looking.

Proper watering is challenging when a Coral Cactus is potted the way that yours is. The layer of pebbles on the surface look very pretty, but they prevent you from properly assessing the dryness of the soil around the roots. In addition, if the bottom of the planter has no drain hole, then water may collect in the bottom and cause root rot.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed