You are here:

House Plants/poisonous sap of rubber tree


Ok so I did what a website said to do re: pruning/ keeping healthy a rubber tree that my friend bought last june. Took a razor blade to the nodules and put a slit straight up and down as well. Long and short of this : i accidentally cut my finger with the razor blade while slicing one of the nodules.
It has been brought to my attention that the sap from this tree is toxic/ poisonous.
What might be some signs i need to look for in case the sap mixed in with my open cut as well as my blood

It can be toxic if eaten by dogs or cats (pets)...It is not toxic to humans...It could make you sick to your stomach if eaten or swallowed...You should be OK in your situation...If in doubt you can always go see a doctor if you start to feel ill...
Hope this helps...
Rick in southern NJ

House Plants

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard Hern


I can answer many common garden center/greenhouse houseplant questions such as , proper care, propagation of, pest problems, identification, growing mediums, construction, etc. & many more..


I currently manage a private 16 acre estate. i am in charge of the general maintenance of buildings and i supervise the landscape maintenance staff. i teach landscape/horticulture evening classes for a community college in NJ. I taught landscape/horticultural classes for a NJ vocational high school for 5 years. prior to that I owned & operated a landscape/garden center facility for 20 + years. My experience is in commercial & residential sales & care of houseplants as well as landscaping.


BS degree in Zoology (Entomology)
Certified landscape/horticulture teacher NJ

©2017 All rights reserved.