House Plants/cyclamen

Hi Will,
I bought a beautiful tiny 2 inch pot of cyclamen in full bloom at the NY Botanical Garden last week.  A few roots are peeking out the drainage hole in the bottom.  Today I notice a few yellow leaves.  Because the pot is tiny, it's very difficult to regulate watering. Any suggestions.  Also, how will I know when to repot?

Hi Phyllis,

Two inches is a very tiny pot for a blooming sized Cyclamen, so I am guessing that you have a miniature hybrid Cyclamen. That means it will never get as big as the ones you usually see.

It is never a good idea to repot a plant that is in bloom. The good thing about a plant that is quite potbound is that it is almost impossible to over-water. However, given the small size of the pot, you may need to water quite frequently to keep the soil and roots appropriately moist. As long as it doesn't wilt, it is probably getting enough water. If in doubt, go ahead and water.

After it has finished blooming you can consider repotting, but only if it requires water every 2 to 3 days. If it can go longer than that, then leave it in its existing pot.

When you repot, move it up one size only - preferably to a 3-inch pot, if you can find one. Otherwise, a 4-inch pot will do. Make sure the new pot has drain holes. Use a standard potting mix. Do not put drainage material in the bottom of the new pot.

Once it is in a 4-inch pot, it will probably never need to be repotted again. In fact, it is unlikely to flower again until it fills the larger pot with roots once again.

I have written detailed articles on repotting and on wateringe that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College