House Plants/peace lilly

Will Creed wrote at 2016-01-01 23:54:57
Hi William,

Yellow/brown leaf tips can be caused by improper watering, inadequate light, hard water of over fertilizing.

Watering by weight is not a reliable method. Water your Peace Lily thoroughly and then see how many days it takes before it starts to wilt just a bit. Then, you will know how often to water because ideally it should be watered just before it wilts. Both under and over watering will cause leaf tipping.

Most folks over-estimate indirect sunlight. Peace lilies like as much indirect sun as possible. That means as close to a window as possible but just far enough away or to the side to avoid the sun's rays falling directly on the leaves.

If your local tap water is hard the excess mineral salts will burn roots and leaf tips. Likewise over-fertilizing does the same thing. If your tap water is hard, use filtered or distilled water. Fertilize sparingly at half strength no more than once per month.

Misting is entirely irrelevant and will neither help nor harm your Peace Lily.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

House Plants

Richard Hern

I can answer many common garden center/greenhouse houseplant questions such as , proper care, propagation of, pest problems, identification, growing mediums, construction, etc. & many more..

I currently manage a private 16 acre estate. i am in charge of the general maintenance of buildings and i supervise the landscape maintenance staff. i teach landscape/horticulture evening classes for a community college in NJ. I taught landscape/horticultural classes for a NJ vocational high school for 5 years. prior to that I owned & operated a landscape/garden center facility for 20 + years. My experience is in commercial & residential sales & care of houseplants as well as landscaping.

BS degree in Zoology (Entomology)
Certified landscape/horticulture teacher NJ