House Plants/Azalea Tree

I received this Azalea plant for Valentine. It is getting new growth on the lower pare of the trunk. Do I strip this growth off or just let it grow. It seems to be doing OK other wise.

Hi Delores,

A photo would be helpful as braided Azalea trees are grown in many different styles and I cannot be sure just what you have.

In general, these trees are grown as topiaries, meaning the have been pruned to a specific shape. The only way to maintain that shape is to prune off all new growth as it emerges at the ends of stems. Do not remove an entire stem, just the ends of any stems that are growing outside the original shape.

This pruning will have no effect on the health of your Azalea, but it will affect the way that it looks. If you prefer to have it grow out in certain places, that is youir choice. However, the growers usually have a specific shape in mind that looks best.

I have written detailed articles on pruning and on Azalea care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College