House Plants/What kind of plant is this?

Question
Mystery plant
Mystery plant  
My mom gave me this plant but wasn't exactly sure what it is. I'm slowly killing it, but I don't know why. She says it needs little water and not much sun. Help!

Answer
Hi Jessica,

Your plant is a Yucca elephantipes. Your mom is partially correct. It does prefer to stay dry, but it does better very close to a sunny window that is completely uncovered throughout the daylight hours.

I recommend watering it only when the top inch of soil, feels very dry. Do not repot it and fertilize very sparingly or not at all.

The stems are leggy because the plant adds new growth at the tops of each stem while losing lower leaves when not getting enough light. I suggest that you cut the tallest stem back to about 3 inches above the soil. New growth will slowly emerge on that stem just below where you make the cut. The top cutting can be rooted in water or discarded. This process can be repeated again with the other stems at any time.

I have written detailed articles on pruning and on Yucca care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed