House Plants/Norfolk pine

my indoor Norfolk pine tree is dying the branches are turning brown falling off  and turning up from the bottom is about 1/2 way up the tree (12 ft. tree)it is about 12 yrs. old is there anything we could do to save it? what could be wrong? we have obviously been doing it right all these years to have it be so big...we do have an indoor cat and we are not sure if he may have gotten into the soil to do his business

it is in a window with plenty of light and my husband has been doing the same thing with watering for the past 12 years but for some reason it is just recently been dying! any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated....this plant was given to me at my fathers funeral and is very special it started out very small and is now a large beautiful plant and we get compliments on it all the time!!

Hi Joyce,

There are several possibilities here. As Norfolk Island Pines age, they naturally will drop some of their lower branches as they add new ones on top. As they get older and taller, this process often accelerates because the available light is not sufficient to support as many branches as it did previously. This is particularly true when the tree gets close to or touches the ceiling. Unfortunately, there is no solution for this. Other plants and trees can be pruned back, but NIP's cannot survive the cutting off of their growing tips.

When pets urinate or defecate in potting soil, it gradually changes the pH (acidity) of the soil. In time that will cause the nutrients in the soil to be unavailable to the plant. This can happen gradually out of sight until one day it reaches a toxic level and starts to kill the plant. You would have to have the soil pH tested to see if this is the problem and then just what is needed to get the soil back in balance. Adding lime is the usual solution for overly acidic soil.

Root damage can also occur gradually from improper watering. Any plant's water requirements will change gradually over time. That is why following a rigid calendar schedule is not a good idea. Adding too much or too little with each watering will not have an immediate impact, but over time it will degrade the roots until they can no loner function well enough to support the plant. In general, it is best to allow the top couple of inches of soil to dry out in between thorough waterings.

Finally, using pots without drainage holes will usually lead to root problems after a while. Likewise, if you repotted, it was probably done incorrectly and that can cause root damage.

I'm sorry I cannot give one simple cause, but the symptoms you described here are generic and have several possible causes. You will have to sort through those possibilities and determine which seem to apply.

I have written detailed articles on diagnosing plant problems and on Norfolk Island Pine care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College