House Plants/i can't identify this plant

Question
side view
side view  

top view
top view  
I would like to know the species so that I find out how to best care for it. It is on a desk in front of  west facing window that is cool in winter and warm in summer. I liberally water it once every 2 weeks. It is starting to yellow a bit so perhaps it needs some fertilizer.  couple times it started sending up fern like sprouts out the top which I cut off. Then last year I let them grow and now they are similar to the original leaves. I am attaching a picture, thank you.

Answer
Hi Tony,

Your plant is commonly called Sago Palm, although it is not technically a Palm. It's botanical name is Cycas revoluta. Plants in this family are among the oldest existing species going back to the dinosaur days.

You seem to be having good success with it so your care is good. Obviously, cutting off the new fronds before they had a chance to fully open was not a good idea.

This plant is a slow grower and typically sends out a new tier of fronds no more than once or twice per year. Because it grows so slowly, fertilizer is not necessary. Slight yellowing may be caused by not allowing the soil to dry out quite enough. Fertilizer will not effect that.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed