House Plants/Help me fix my money tree :(

My plant had these spots that started small are are getting bigger. I do keep it outside but the sunlight in never directly on it. Please help if you can.

Hi Brittney,

Potted Money Trees are fairly fragile plants and do not hold up well outdoors. Every local climate is different, so I cannot offer specifics about yours. However, outside elements include temperature fluctuations, rain, direct sun, fog, wind, animals and insect pests all of which can cause physical damage to plants.

In your case, I suspect either cold and or some occasional exposure to brief periods of direct sun. The spots on the foliage is physical in  nature. They are not caused by pests or diseases so no treatment is required. The leaf spots will always remain, however, unless you trim off those leaves. Likewise the peeling bark on the stems is not a cause for concern.

I do observe that your Money Tree is in a fairly large pot with heavy soil, so be careful to not over water it.

I have written a detailed article on Money Tree care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College