House Plants/jade plant

Recently I was given a large Jade plant. The branches have started falling, they seem to have rotted internally to become soft. I have only had it for a month and don't know how it was looked after before I got it.
I had a similar jade plant for over fifteen years, till I lost it to root rot, I had forgotten to put it under cover when I went on holiday( I put it out in the summer, but usually put it under cover if it rained). I even got that one to flower.

This plant needs lots of sun. Indoors keep it in front of the sunniest window you have with window coverings open all day. Be very carful to let it dry out well between waterings and it needs to be dry for at least 3-5 days before being watered again.

If that is how you have been caring for it then it may be a virus or fungus that is attacking jades all over the country. Most fungicides will kill jades. The only thing I have been successful with is setting a can of generic Lysol spray near the plant and spraying the area around the plant daily or at least every other day. If you have more questions feel free to write again. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.