House Plants/oxygen emmiting house plants

I sleep with  lot of aloe vera plants in my bedroom.  Does that give me more oxygen in my blood?

Hi Douglas,

Virtually all plants emit oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide that we exhale. That is why animals and plants have an essential symbiotic relationship on this planet.

There are no plant species that are better oxygen producers than others. The more total leaf surface a particular plant has, the more oxygen it will produce. So large plants with lots of leaves are better in this regard.

Even more importantly, healthy plants are the most efficient oxygen producers. So it is important to match the available light in your bedroom with the specific light needs of the plants you select. For example, Aloe veras require lots of direct sunlight. If your bedroom does not have much direct sun, then it will not produce as much oxygen.

I have written detailed articles on plants and oxygen that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College