House Plants/rubber plant

Question
My rubber plant is about 2 1/2 years old. The lower part of the stem looks like it's dying it looks like tree bark but the upper part is green. Is it dying? We just repotted it about 3 weeks ago.

Answer
Hi Anita,

It is a normal part of the aging process for lower stems to develop bark as they age. Newer stems are green but will also develop bark over time. Nothing to worry about.

However, your decision to repot is worrisome. Unnecessary repotting is the single most common cause of plant failure. Plants do best when kept moderately potbound. Many things can go wrong when a plant is repotted. The pot may be too big and hold too much soil. The tiny roothairs may get damaged and they do most of the work. It is important to match the new potting mix with the existing potting soil. It is never a good idea to add "drainage material" to the bottom of the pot. Few people know how to repot properly, so there is a good chance you have not done it correctly.

Repotting is bit complicated for me to go into here, but you should be aware that any problems you have over the course of the next several months can probably be attributed to the repotting you did.

I am sorry that I may have relieved you of one problem, but introduced you to another one.

I have written detailed articles on pruning and on Rubber Plant care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed