House Plants/Rubber Tree plant

Question
QUESTION: My rubber tree is very old and it has recently sprouted a new "branch" on one side. These leaves are green and perky but the leaves on the older side are drooping. Is the plant dying or is it overwatered?? What could be going on? I don't remember it drooping like this before.

ANSWER: Hi Regina,

To be able to help you properly, I would need to see a clear photo that shows the entire tree, including its pot.

If you could also provide information about how far it is from the nearest uncovered window and describe your watering routine, that would help me give you an accurate diagnosis.

~Will Creed

QUESTION: Unfortunately, I can't send you a picture but it is about 2 feet from a window which is half covered with a blind. Also it is in a corner close to the HVAC vent. I usually water it once a week. The pot is a heavy clay pot. At one time the leaves were yellow and falling so I sprayed it but they are no longer falling. I hope this helps. Thanks.

Answer
Hi Regina,

Rubber trees grow in all different ways so I cannot understand what you mean when you say yours has a "new branch on one side." I also don't know what you mean by the "older side." A photo would also show me the size of the plant itself and the size of the pot.

Without a photo or better information, I can only provide some informed guesses as to why your plant is not doing well.

It probably needs more light, so open up the blinds all the way during the daylight hours. Also, move it out of the corner and more in front of the window. If one side is always in the corner while the other side is in good light, then that may account for the differences in the two sides that you referred to.

You may be not be allowing the soil to dry properly between waterings. Assuming it is potted properly, allow the top quarter of the soil to dry before adding just enough water so that it reaches that level of dryness again in about a week.

Misting the plant neither helps or harms the plant. Unless the vent is blowing hot or cold air directly onto the foliage, that should not be a problem.

Best regards,
~Will Creed  

House Plants

Will Creed