House Plants/Window light

We have some thermal windows with a UV coating. Does this have a noticeable effect on houseplants?

It can depending on how heavy the coating is. If your plants are getting yellow leaves then the coating is affecting them and the only thing you can do is put them under florescent lights. You can use the new florescent bulbs in floor lamp. Or you can use florescent tubes in 2 tube fixtures and put them on timers 14 hours a day. Some plants can survive with lower light so I would not light them unless they get a couple of yellow leaves. Your plants can go outside for the summer and they will be quite happy.  If you have more questions feel free to write again. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.