House Plants/yukka plant

Hi.i have a yukka and it has developed green/blue patches and its stem and bark are soft to the touch.the leaves have all but fallen off as where they join seems wet consequently making them plant is dying can i save it and how?

Hi Terry,

I'm afraid your Yucca cannot be saved. Once a stem gets soft, it means the roots have rotted to such a degree that they are dead and non-functional and have been for quite a while.

The roots of Yuccas do not tolerate constantly damp soil around them so they are easy to inadvertently over water. Yuccas also require lots of direct sunlight and inadequate light will contribute to the plant's demise. Finally, I will note that if you moved your Yucca into a new pot there is a good chance that contributed to the root rot.

Chalk this one up to a good learning experience. I hope you will not be discouraged from trying new plants in the future.

I have written detailed articles on repotting, watering and on Yucca care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College