House Plants/Kalanchoe over-watered?

Deddy wrote at 2015-07-27 16:34:40
Hi, as far my experience when kalanchoe wilt though the soil is wet, usually the roots are rot already. Having less root to support massive leaves makes the plants like drought. The only reason they don't dry because kalanchoe is succulent. Remedy:

1. Check the base stem , just right above the soil, if its black or mulchy, then its stem rot

2. If not number 1, try to pull up your plants out of the soil. A healthy plant should have enough resistance when you pull it out of the pot, eventually the soil will move up together as it completely bind by roots. Root rot will get your plants up, without the whole soil. You will find the root in small amount and are dark colored instead of white.

3. If this is the problem, then you can be sure its over watered, you need to cut off all dark coloroed parts of the plant section and replant. Use new soil , a potting mix with a lot of perlite is recommended. Don't let the base stem wet during this period. Just water the soil on the perimeter, the damp soil will trigger the plant to form new roots.  Until the new roots are well established supporting the plant, z(which you will see the top bud starts growing) then you can water as normal.

Other tip already mentioned by the expert above.

Hope this adds your knowledge in grooming this fantastic plant.

Deddy, Yangon, Burma

House Plants

Richard Hern