House Plants/Kalanchoe over-watered?

Question
Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe  
I have had my Kalanchoe for a couple of months now and I thought I was doing well with not watering it too much (about once a week) but it has now gone completely droopy and some of the leaves are going brown and dry around the edges. My instinct is to water it (as most plants droop when they are thirsty) but everything I read online says this is due to overwatering and now I don't know what to do! Please can tell me whether it looks under or over watered to you? (Picture attached) The soil feels only damp to touch but the pot does feel quite heavy. Also, would you recommend repotting or not at this stage?
I live in the UK and the plant is on a south facing windowsill in the sun (when we have some).
Thanks very much.

Answer
Helen
Kalanchoes are succulents similar to cacti...Can't tell from your picture if it is wilting or suffering from too frequent waterings...Except for the wilted look of the leaves it looks healthy...
Watering technique is very important for succulents...Usually they die from too frequent waterings (or letting stay dry too long). If you let them go too dry when flowering they will lose flowers faster...Kalanchoes can die easily if kept too wet and not allowed to dry enough between waterings...You want to make sure they go dry between waterings...They do rot out easily if kept too wet.
Water your plant based on how much it weighs when thoroughly watered VS when they are ready to be watered again...It's not as easy as once or twice a week...Pick the pot up and feel how heavy it is after watering it...Don't water it again until it feels considerably lighter and the top of the soil is light in color. Do water in the early AM on sunny days...Be especially careful when watering succulents during the shorter day-lite hours of winter...Err on the dry side side with these plants...Do keep them warm and avoid cold drafts. A lot of succulents will not tolerate direct sun all day...They just need a bright location...This will help them flower...
Your plant doesn't look like it needs repotting.

Hope this helps...Let me know what you think...
Rick in southern NJ

House Plants

Richard Hern