House Plants/Peace Lily care

Question
Will, I have a peace lily I have had for several years. I have transplanted it one. I have noticed the edge of the leaves are turning brown. What might I being doing wrong to cause this? Or is there something I should be doing? I generally water when I notice the leaves wilting and it perk back up, but I don't know what to do for the brown leaves. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mary

Answer
Hi Mary,

It is hard to avoid a limited amount of leaf edge and tip browning on Peace Lilies. It is best to use sharp scissors to trim off the discolored edges and tips while maintaining the original contour of each leaf so it does not look like it has been trimmed.  

Leaf edge browning is often exacerbated by allowing the soil to get too dry in between waterings. It is best to water Peace Lilies just before they start to wilt.

Using hard water and over-fertilizing will also cause leaf browning. If your tap water is hard, use filtered or distilled instead. Fertilize no more than once per month at half-strength.

I have written a detailed article on Peace Lily care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed