House Plants/Pachypodium too tall

I have been searching quite a while to see if Pachypodiums tops can be cut off and found your site. I have a much loved Pachy (gaeyii? Can't remember the spelling) but it has gotten so big I don't know what I will do with it! It is approximately 7.5' tall without the pot - I have had this thing since my son was little bitty and now he is 22! It is going to scrape the ceiling this year, I'm sure of it! I know I need to lop it off, but I'm afraid I will kill it. How and when must this be done? Should I use hormone powder of any kind on it once the deed is done? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jill Kramer

I would try air layering it. I have cut one off and the top nor the bottom survived. If your try air layering it you have at least a 50-50 chance that it will survive. I would do it outside in a shady location and keep the plant on the dry side while you are air layering it.  You can get instructions for air layering at the following sites.

Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.