House Plants/Spider on houseplants

Question
Hello! I have a small black spider who has taken residence on my houseplants. Has a seriously impressive web, about the size of a dinner platter, spanning 3 plants. I donít mind him, heís not bothering me, heís catching flies, etc. Itís all good.

Iím just worried, because 2 of the 3 plants get rotated frequently, and I hate to tear up his webs like that, but if I donít rotate them, my coffee plant grows almost horizontal. The web is across my coffee plant, a cactus and a Christmas cactus, sharing the same table dancing bones plant and a starting apple tree seedling. Do I need to worry about him damaging my plants? I'm almost assuming he'll be beneficial, as he'll eat any pests that might invade my plants, but I figure I should probably ask.

Thank you so much for your help!

Suggestions?

Answer
Hi Amanda,

That is a busy spider! He certainty will not harm your plants and may help deter any plant pests. It is generally a good idea to rotate your plants so they don't grow all in one direction. However, that is more about aesthetics than plant health. You will have to decide whether you care more about the spider or about keeping your plants straight. Otherwise, there are no issues here.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed