House Plants/Yucca plant

Question
I have had Yucca plants before, then i moved and they died  "husband didn't water " LOL.  I bought another Yucca but it has no cane just the plant growing out the top straight up ? How do i get the cane to grow i got it @ the end of summer last year with brown leaves dry from wallmart it servived go and green one time a mopnth i put it in the shower water it real good  after an hour i put it back in the living room  i payed $3.00 for it and it's doing good but no cane and i love the cane how do i make cane grow . Ty Denise

Answer
Hi Denise,

Here is how the cane forms of Yuccas and Corn Plants are grown. Very large and tall (up to 20 feet) trees growing in the tropical rainforests are cut down and their trunks are cut into sections. These selections are the canes and are subsequently rooted in pots. After the roots form, then the foliage "heads" emerge from the top and they are sold in that form. In other words, you cannot grow a cane yourself.

Your Yucca is a top stem cutting that has been rooted directly in the soil. It will gradually grow taller, but it will never develop the thick cane that you want. To get a Yucca cane, you have to buy a Yucca cane.

I have written a detailed article on Yucca care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed