House Plants/Elephant ear plant

I have a large Elephant ear plant that I'm keeping
Indoors in a fairly large pot I'm thinking of going larger ,
but anyways one of the stems has drooped down to
The point it has bent im wondering how I prune it or should I be using
Sticks to keep it upright if need be, now that the stem
Is damaged do I just slice it off ? And hope for the other mature
Stems they don't suffer the same ?

Hi Sarah,

There are several entirely different plants that are commonly called "elephant ear." It is hard for me to advise you without knowing just what you have. A photo posted here or emailed to my address below would be helpful.

In general, stems that have been creased are permanently damaged and unlikely to recover so it is best to cut the entire leaf stem off at the base, leaving as little stub as possible.

Stems that droop and bend are often growing in less than optimal light. Good light is required for newly emerging stems to grow sturdy and strong.

Unnecessary repotting is the most common of all plant care mistakes. Repotting will not help with your drooping stems and may actually aggravate the problem.

I hope you will provide more detail on the identity of your plant so I can better help you with its care.

I have written a detailed article on repotting that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College