House Plants/Indoor Corn Plant

Will Creed wrote at 2016-01-02 00:06:51
Corn Plants bloom indoors usually after they are quite mature and have been in the same pot and location for many years. It may be unusual, but it is not rare. After the plant reaches maturity, cooler nighttime temps help trigger the flowers. Thereafter, it may flower once or twice per year as long as it is not relocated or repotted.

Some folks find the aroma cloyingly sweet and for those folks, I recommend cutting off the flower stem as soon as it emerges. After the flower finishes its cycle, it dries and becomes a sticky mess. It is best to cut it off as soon the flower petals start to dry.

House Plants

Richard Hern

I can answer many common garden center/greenhouse houseplant questions such as , proper care, propagation of, pest problems, identification, growing mediums, construction, etc. & many more..

I currently manage a private 16 acre estate. i am in charge of the general maintenance of buildings and i supervise the landscape maintenance staff. i teach landscape/horticulture evening classes for a community college in NJ. I taught landscape/horticultural classes for a NJ vocational high school for 5 years. prior to that I owned & operated a landscape/garden center facility for 20 + years. My experience is in commercial & residential sales & care of houseplants as well as landscaping.

BS degree in Zoology (Entomology)
Certified landscape/horticulture teacher NJ