House Plants/Indoor Corn Plant

Our indoor corn plant is between 15-20 years an recently bloomed for the first time.  The fragrance begins near sundown and lasts until morning.  It is overpowering. Why at night and long will this last?  Can we safely cut off the bloom?

Mature plants will flower if placed in the right area inside. Sounds like yours is in the right spot. In their natural habitat they flower at night. Night time insects usually pollinate them to produce fruiting bodies. They are related to lilies and their flowers do have a strong scent. You can remove the flowers at their base and new growth will start there.
You are doing a good job w/your plant ( watering, fertilizing, etc.).
Keep up the good work and enjoy your plant.
From Rick in southern NJ  

House Plants

Richard Hern

I can answer many common garden center/greenhouse houseplant questions such as , proper care, propagation of, pest problems, identification, growing mediums, construction, etc. & many more..

I currently manage a private 16 acre estate. i am in charge of the general maintenance of buildings and i supervise the landscape maintenance staff. i teach landscape/horticulture evening classes for a community college in NJ. I taught landscape/horticultural classes for a NJ vocational high school for 5 years. prior to that I owned & operated a landscape/garden center facility for 20 + years. My experience is in commercial & residential sales & care of houseplants as well as landscaping.

BS degree in Zoology (Entomology)
Certified landscape/horticulture teacher NJ