House Plants/Rotten trunk Pachira aquatica

Question
Hi!

I have a Pachira aquatica that I belive in general feels pretty well. It grows in height, the leavs are green ande springy there are even new sprouts in the top. Although, recently I have noticed that one of the 4 trunks have become rotten (entire trunk). I normaly water it once a week and the pot has drainage holes in bottom.

What´s wrong with it? Should I try to remove the rotten trunk, or can I just leave it? Or will that affect the rest of the plant negatively.

Kind regards

Fredrik

Answer
Hi Fredrik,

Having one or two of the braided stems die is a common problem with Pachiras. As long as you are providing proper light and water, there is nothing you can do to prevent this from occurring.

The cause is not a disease and it is unlikely to spread to other healthy stems. You can cut away the dead stem to make it look better, but leaving it or removing it will have no effect on the rest of the plant.

Pachiras benefit from occasional pruning of taller stems. This will prevent legginess.

I have written a detailed article on Pachira care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed