House Plants/Dieffenbachia white trail on stem?

Hi there! I came back after three days and found this weird white trail on two stems of my dieffenbachia. Please see attached photo; hopefully it's clear enough. Is this normal? Or is it some kind of pest? If so, how do I get rid of it? I got this dieff a little over a month ago. It's my first (and so far only) plant.

Additionally, new leaves are sprouting all the time, so I think I must be doing something right, but why are some of them distorted? And have no variegation :( I water only when the soil is dry and use Miracle Gro foam one every two weeks.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Anna,

I am not seeing anything unusual in the photos you provided. I think you may be looking too carefully at your plant. Like most living things, plants all have some imperfections that are best ignored and accepted as part of nature.

I can certainly reassure you that there are no pests in the photos you posted nor are there any abnormally distorted leaves. The new leaf growth is healthy and that is further evidence that your Dieffenbachia is doing just fine.

I have written a detailed article on Dieffenbachia care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College