House Plants/Majesty Palm

I bought a m. Palm and it didn't have very good care at Walmart and it was on sale! But the soil looked like some white cotton through it and I re potted it but the plant looks good nothing wrong with the palm just the soil, seen no bugs I looked very Carefully, so what should I do? Thanks

Hi Wanda,

Majesty Palms do not adapt well to indoor conditions, but they also cannot survive freezing temperatures. So that will be a problem for you unless you have an unusually mild winter. Keep it outside in light shade as long as you can and then move it inside to a sunny location for as short a time as possible this winter.

Without seeing it, I don't know what the white cotton stuff was. It may have been perlite or marl which are both components of nursery potting mix. If it was a mealy bub infestation, then you should have returned the plant because soil mealies are almost impossible to treat effectively.

If you removed and replaced all or most of the soil, then you have inadvertently damaged most of the tiny root hairs that do most of the work. That will cause your palm to decline and probably not recover. If you did not replace most of the soil, then the mealybugs remain and there is no effective way to treat them.

In general, Majesty Palms require lots of light shade outside and soil that is porous and kept moist, watering thoroughly when the top inch of soil feels dry. Good air circulation, warm temps, monthly fertilizer and high humidity also help.

Good luck. I hope the roots have not been severely compromised by mealybugs or repotting.

I have written detailed articles on repotting and on Palm care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College