House Plants/Varigated Pandanus Veitchii Plant

I just came across your websit.

I have been searching on the internet to get some information on caring for this plant.  It appears everyone tells you different ways to take care of it.  That is why I am getting confused.  I had two plants before and they died.  I was lucky enough to get another one from a lady and am not sure where I should place this plant.  Do I keep it at home or take it to work where it will have floresant lighting?  She said floresant lighting is good for her plants.

I live in the City of Toronto, Canada.  As you know, Canadaís climate is different from the U.S. and Europe.  Therefore, I donít know how strong the lighting should be for this plant or how much to water it, etc.

Do you know of anyone that raises these plants who would be a good source to go to with respect to asking questions or can you help me with any information?  Apparently someone thought my last plant died of a fungus, which I don't know if they really knew what they were talking about.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Hi Carol,

I am not surprised you have received contradictory information about your variegated Pandanus. Most conventional information comes from professional nursery growers who have no experience caring for plants in less than ideal home environments. Plant retailers tend to downplay certain environmental considerations because they want to sell their plants.

Pandanus, especially the variegated types, requite lots of direct sunlight to thrive and to maintain their variegation. Fluorescent office lights are fine for many plants but inadequate for variegated Pandanus. Because the days are shorter in Toronto, providing direct sunlight is even more important. Try to locate yours in a south facing window that is completely uncovered throughout the daylight hours.

People who explain a plant's problems by citing a fungus are really acknowledging that they have no idea, so they say fungus to make themselves seem knowledgeable. Fungus problems in house plants are rare and can only be determined by lab analysis of the plant tissue.

In addition to providing lots of light, it is important not to over pot or over water a Pandanus. This plant can easily survive drought and neglect. It cannot tolerate soil that stays constantly moist. It does best when kept very potbound and when the soil is allowed to dry a quarter of the way deep into the pot. The combination of too little light, too large a pot and too frequent watering will conspire to kill any Pandanus.

One other note, fertilizer is not medicine and should be reserved for healthy plants that are growing vigorously.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College