House Plants/Christmas cactus

I want to start new plants from my large old one.  How do I propagate cuttings - in water? in soil?  Is there a special way to make the cuttings?

Hi Ellen,

There is no one way to propagate Christmas cactus cuttings. They certainly can be rooted in plain water, although they sometimes rot before developing roots. I think you are more likely to have success if you root them in a potting mix.

Each stem is composed of visible stem sections. The base or lowest end of each section is capable or producing roots. So take multiple cuttings that each consist of 1 to 3 sections. Insert the bottom of the lowest section upright about a half-inch deep into the potting mix.

Use a peat-based potting mix or make your own mix of 4 parts peat moss and one part perlite. Get the peat mix nice and damp and fill one or more very small (2 or 3 inch) pots with this mix. I suggest inserting 3 or 4 separate cuttings into each pot. Multiple cuttings in the same pot will make for a much fuller plant later on.

Keep the cuttings pots in a warm moderately sunny location. The tricky part is keeping the potting mix constantly damp, but not wet. The roots need both moisture and oxygen to emerge. When they do emerge they are very fragile and will easily rot if the mix is too wet or dry up if the mix gets too dry even just once.

Some folks put the small pots and cuttings into a clear plastic bag and seal it tight. This keeps the moisture inside the soil and in the surrounding air. If you do this, keep it out of any direct sunlight to avoid overheating the cuttings.

These cuttings will root very slowly so you will have to be patient. You will not see any changes for several months, but as long as the cuttings remain firm and upright and green, they are on the right track.

I have written detailed articles on plant propagation and on Holiday Cactus care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College