House Plants/spider plants

my question is, the tips of my plant is turning brown, and some of the babies are flowering. is the white flowers normal?, and why is the tips turning brown? its a lg plant..

Hi Beatrice,

Flowers on a Spider Plant are a sign that the plant is overall healthy. The flowers are normally white and quite small.

Brown tips on Spider Plant leaves are very common and occur to varying degrees in response to less than perfect conditions. If the tip browning is limited to just the lower leaves and the very tip ends, then there is not much you can do to eliminate that completely.

The most common cause of more extensive tip browning is improper watering. If the tips are dry, brown and crispy then under watering is likely. If the tips are soft and yellow-brown, then it may be over watering. If the newest leaves are turning yellow or brown, then over watering and root rot are the problem.

Using hard tap water can cause leaf tipping, as can using too much fertilizer. If your tap water is hard, use filtered or distilled water instead. Fertilize no more than once per month at half strength.

Finally, dry air may cause some additional leaf tipping, but not as long as the roots receive sufficient water through proper watering.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College