House Plants/White pits on jade plant? Please help

Question
Picture 1
Picture 1  

Picture 2
Picture 2  
I got a jade plant (Senecio Jacobsenii) about 2 months ago and over the past month it has developed little white pits in some leaves. I'm wondering if they're scales, but the spots are pits and not protrusions. What are they and how can I cure/prevent them?

I live in Los Angeles where it's been quite hot recently, keep the plant by the window, and water once every 3 weeks. Could it be that my room is too humid? Thanks for the help!

Answer
Hi Bev,

Your Senecio likes direct sun, but not high temps. Depending on how yours is potted, watering every 3 weeks may not be enough in direct sun and very worm temps. Humidity is not an issue.

The small pits are infrequent enough to not be alarming. They are not scale or any other pest or disease. Most likely they are the result of high temps and not enough water. Keep in mind that pits that are already there will never disappear. Just try to prevent any additional ones going forward.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at: www.HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed