House Plants/Why does my Anthurium look and feel so weird?

Question
Aerial view of anthurium
Aerial view of anthuri  

closeup
closeup  
I have an anthurium in my room that hasn't bloomed red flowers in over 4 weeks. it has constant leaf growth, but the leaves looked rusted, and feel very 'thick' and weird.

Answer
Hi Manuela,

It is hard to be sure from the photos, but it appears that your Anthurium has a spider mite infestation.

To treat the spider mites, mix a solution of plain water and a squirt of liquid dish soap in a spray bottle. Then, thoroughly spray ALL of the leaves and stems to the point where they are dripping wet. This is a messy job, but if you are really thorough, then you may only have to do it once.

I have written detailed articles on treating spider mites and on Schefflera care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at: www.HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed