House Plants/braided gardenia

i bought this braided gardenia a couple days ago. it was in gallon container. had a few yellow leaves and a bunch of buds on it not any opened up yet. it was pretty root bound i put in larger pot. with 1 cubic foot of scotts soil moisture controlled soil. i only added 2 cups of water right on top root ball afterwords i did cut roots about inch this too big of a pot how much should i water it it is inside in front of window.

Hi James.

I wish you had contacted me BEFORE you repotted and root pruned, as I would have strongly advised against doing either.

Flowering plants do best and are most likely to bloom when they are kept potbound. In addition, if their roots are disturbed when they are already in bud, then the buds are likely to drop off without ever opening. So your timing was not good.

When you move a plant into a larger pot unnecessarily, there is a very good chance that the excess soil added will retain moisture for too long and slowly cause the roots to rot and then you lose the whole plant.

Because you just recently repotted, it is not too late to undo the repotting by taking your Gardenia out of its new pot, remove the soil you added and put it back into its original pot or one the same size.

Keep your Gardenia on your sunniest windowsill, but also keep it as cool as possible. As soon as the top half-inch of soil feels dry, water it thoroughly until a bit of water trickles through the drain holes. Don't expect it to flower again until it has once again become potbound and that may take a long time.

I have written detailed articles on repotting and on Gardenia care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College