House Plants/Strange Growths in the Philodendron Plant Pot

Strange Growths 2
Strange Growths 2  

Strange Growths 1
Strange Growths 1  
I have 3 strange furry pale-lime-colored pods growing in the same pot as my Philodendron which I transplanted from the water bottle that I rooted it in 15 days ago. They are 2cm high and though they are all growing together, 2 are conjoined with one next to them. They look like they are definitely growing up from the soil on stems that are level with the soil line. Please take into consideration, 1)when I potted this plant from the bottle, I saw nothing unusual; 2)I do have several succulent furry plants; 3)I am not sure what type of plant I potted and am guessing that it is a philodendrom (included in the photo); 4)we have a lot of stink bugs and some spiders here. I am really frightened that these may be some types of eggs hatching. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Hi Gloria,

Those are mushrooms, a type of fungus that grows in damp, non-sterile soil. They are harmless to you (unless eaten) and to the plant. They can be pulled out of the soil. Be sure to get the roots in the soil as well. You may see more of these emerge because there may be additional spores in the soil that you used.

Allowing the top half inch of soil to dry between waterings and providing lots of warmth, air circulation and bright indirect light will all work to counter more of this fungi growth. As an alternative, you can carefully take the rooted Pothos (not Philodendron) cutting out of the pot and discard the potting soil you used. Then,  repot it into a smaller pot using a peat-based, soil-less potting mix.

I have written a detailed article on Pothos care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College