House Plants/Bougainvillea

Question
I live in Lubbock Texas, not the most container friendly region. My 4 yr old bougainvillea (container) is producing new growth at an astonishing rate.(5' tall, almost as wide)  Some tell me prune now for blooms others say wait until it blooms. Its in a 24" pot & has never been transplanted.  I'm confused. Thank you.

Answer
Hi Kelli,

Your Bougainvillea is probably growing at an astonishing rate now that its roots have filled the pot. Keeping it potbound is a GOOD thing and will help promote flowering. Once potbound, Bougainvilleas are very rapid growers, especially in good sunlight.

It is best to prune this plant back very sharply in February-March following its semi-dormant period in winter. Flowers appear on new growth only, so if you prune it back now, you may not get any flowers until late summer, if at all.

My recommendation is to leave it unpruned for now and enjoy the flowers that you will get soon. Late next winter, prune it it WAAAY back and get it to the size and shape that you want, remembering that new growth will follow along with flowers next spring and summer. It is best to follow this pruning regimen every year to keep your plant looking shapely and producing lots of flowers.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at: www.HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Be sure to refer your plant-loving friends and family to my website at http://www.HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed