House Plants/house ivy

How to I repot the runners off my ivy. It takes up an entire bay window and I would like to start new plants from this plant. I have had it for over 10 years. The runners are 6 to 8 feet long. What do you do?.  Thanks Brenda

Hi Brenda,

The best cuttings to propagate are 3-5 inches in length. You can take multiple cuttings from each of the vines, starting at the tip end farthest from the pot and moving back from there. It is best to pot up a minimum of 6 cuttings per pot. The more the better.

Strip the lowest leaf off of each cutting. Bunch the stem cuttings together and place them in either a small vase of water or a very small 3-inch pot filled with a damp porous potting mix. If you root the cuttings in water, change the water weekly and wait for each cutting to have  roots at least an inch long. At that point, they can be moved together into a small 3-inch pot filled with damp, porous potting mix.

Once you have the cuttings potted in soil, it is important to keep the soil evenly moist at all times. Fragile developing roots don't have much leeway regarding soil moisture. Warm temps and lots of bright light will encourage root development. Rooting hormones are not at all necessary. Keep the cuttings crowded and tightly potted for best results.

On the original plant, new growth will emerge on each vine that you cut just below where you make the pruning cuts and grow longer from there.

I have written detailed articles on plant propagation and on Ivy care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at:  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College