House Plants/What plant is this?

Plant stalk
Plant stalk  
It has suckers/pups growing from the bottom. It kinda looks like a canna lilly but i'm not exactly sure. It did not come with a labelled tag.
I asked the store worker if they had any banana plants and he pointed me to these.
are these really banana plants?
if not what are they?
any help is appreciated.

Hi Melchur,

You are correct on both counts; this plant is a Canna and it is most definitely NOT a banana Plant.

Cannas are not often used as indoor potted plants. In warm weather, they require lots of sunlight and moist soil. In the fall as temps fall close to freezing, it is best to cut back all the foliage and allow the tubers to dry out totally in a cool location (40-50 degrees F.) until March. Without this winter dormant period, they are unlikely to flower again the following summer. That is why this is often no longer used indoors, but is used primarily as an outdoor annual that is discarded each year.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at:  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College