House Plants/Schleffera

Question
Plant
Plant  
My schleffra is probably over 10 years old. It has always been my most beautiful plant. But about 4 weeks ago I noticed the branches with the leaves on them started going down and now the leaves are curling. I didn't repot it, The only thing did was fertilize it for the first time.

Answer
Hi Deanna,

I'm afraid that at this point, your Schefflera is in a state of total collapse. That means the roots are dead and so is the plant. There is nothing that will revive it now.

I don't know enough about your plant to be able to provide a definitive explanation as to why it has died. However, in the photo I can see that it is hanging very high and too far above the direct rays of the sun. In addition, it is in a very large pot and that may have contributed to root rot.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

I have written a detailed article on Schefflera care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at: www.HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed