House Plants/Indentifing & pruning

Tall plant
Tall plant  
Could you please help me identify this plant? It is now at least 7-8 feet tall (some stems are longer) so, can you also tell me how to prune it? Thank you in advance.

Hi Jay,

Your plant is a type of palm called Chamaedorea and more commonly called Bamboo Palm. Yours is overgrown and should be pruned back. When you prune back a Palm stem it does not produce new growth on that stem. However, it does help promote new shoots that emerge from the soil. I suggest that you prune the tallest, leggiest stems back all the way to the soil line.

Your Bamboo Palm would benefit from better light, so place it closer to and right in front of the window, if possible. Allow the top 1-2 inches of soil to dry in between thorough waterings. Fertilizer and repotting will not help.

I have written detailed articles on pruning and on Palm care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College