House Plants/Kangaroo fern

I want to repot my Kangaroo fern. It is small, 6" pot, but I am not sure how to repot it. I am in South Alabama. Zone 8. I want to bring it inside during cold weather.

Buy an 8 or 10 inch new pot from your local garden center. Add potting soil to the bottom of the new pot so your plant will be at the appropriate level when finished. Take your plant out of its pot and center it in the new pot. Add soil as you rotate the new pot to fill the new pot. Lightly tamp the new soil w/your fingers as you again rotate the new pot.
Water your plant based on how much it weighs when thoroughly watered VS when they are ready to be watered again. Plants die from too frequent waterings (or going too long in between waterings), not from how much water you give them at one time. Pick the pot up and feel how heavy it is after watering it thoroughly. Don't water it again until it feels considerably lighter and the top of the soil is light in color. Depending on plant types, sunlight exposure and pot size plants will need water at many different rates from once a day to once a month or more . Remove dead plant parts back to the live area.
Plants do need to be fertilized every month or so to stay healthy...
Ask the people at your local garden center where to place (sun exposure) your plant in your house. Also ask them what is the proper care for your Kangaroo Fern in your area.
Good luck.
Rick in southern NJ.

House Plants

Richard Hern

I can answer many common garden center/greenhouse houseplant questions such as , proper care, propagation of, pest problems, identification, growing mediums, construction, etc. & many more..

I currently manage a private 16 acre estate. i am in charge of the general maintenance of buildings and i supervise the landscape maintenance staff. i teach landscape/horticulture evening classes for a community college in NJ. I taught landscape/horticultural classes for a NJ vocational high school for 5 years. prior to that I owned & operated a landscape/garden center facility for 20 + years. My experience is in commercial & residential sales & care of houseplants as well as landscaping.

BS degree in Zoology (Entomology)
Certified landscape/horticulture teacher NJ