House Plants/Plant dying

Schefflera arboricola is shedding a lot of leaves. The leaves turn yellow and fall, a few a day. The plant was doing well for almost a year then suddenly started dying. The leaves are semi sticky for some reason as well. The soil seems to always be very dry no matter how much or little or often I water it.

Hi Darci,

The stickiness is a sign of either scale insects or mealybugs. The former appear as slightly raised bumps usually along the vein on the undersides of leaves. Mealybugs appear as tiny bits of soft white fuzz. Both are closely related, suck on the sap and secrete the sticky substance called honeydew. Both are treated in the same manner and that requires a very thorough spraying.

Mix 1 part isopropyl alcohol with 5 parts of water and add a squirt of liquid soap. Be sure to spray all leaf and stem surfaces thoroughly until all surfaces are literally dripping wet. This is a messy task, but is usually effective if you are truly thorough with your spraying and one treatment is usually sufficient. The common practice of applying alcohol with a Q-tip is not effective because it misses the ones you canít see. To be safe, you should check your plant weekly to see if the pests return.

Are you really sure the soil is dry soon after you water it thoroughly? If so, then it may be because when soil gets completely dried out even once, it becomes hard and almost water repellent, much like a dry sponge. To re-wet very dry soil, allow the plant pot to sit in a saucer or bowl filled with water for an hour or two. The soil will wick the water up through the drain holes in the pot. Once the soil has been re-wetted, you can resume watering normally as long as you don't allow it to get completely dried out.

Finally, make sure your Arboricola is getting enough light. It should be within a couple of feet of a sunny window that is completely uncovered throughout the day.

I have written detailed articles on treating plant pests and on Schefflera care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College