Human Resources/Bridge to include break in service

Question
After 15 years of service as a FTE, I was terminated a year ago from my company due to wrongful termination.  After nearly a year now, I am going back to the same company, which has nearly 10,000 employees.  As part of the re-hiring, the company wants me in the same FTE position, albeit a bit lower of a salary and the same leave benefit as I had before (4 weeks which I was up to when I left and the max for my level).  Maybe it's called "reinstatement" but the salary is lower, which is not a big issue right now.  They are including all other standard benefits (as any other FTE).  The issue is that they do not want to "Bridge" my service to include the break in service.  Should I be concerned that the year (break) is not counted in my years of service?  If so, how?  I am getting the maximum leave so is there anything else that this "break" might affect?  What should I be asking for (more) in this regard, if anything?

Answer
Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for your question.

There are two types of service.  “Credited Service” and “Eligibility Service”.  The company benefits plan language and policy language usually defines how these two different services are applied.   Credited Service applies to, usually, benefits, like pension calculation.

Eligibility service usually counts toward service awards, vacation, retirement eligibility, etc.  So depending on what benefits the company puts in either of those two buckets will impact you in different ways.  So maybe your one year off will count as eligibility service for vacation, but not as credited service for pension calculation.  I hope I have not confused you.

So the questions you should be asking are: Does my one year off count for: 1. Eligibility Service toward what?  2.  Credited Service toward what?  “What” = pension value, pension service, disability, vacation, sick leave, service awards, promotions, future reductions, and so on.  Ask for a list.

In the end what really matters is that the company has written policies that are applied to all employees and applicants consistently.  ERISA, “the Employee Retirement and Income Security Act” approves company pension plans and controls how they are managed and administered.

I hope that helps… I am happy to hear you are re-employed!   I would appreciate it if you could find a minute to evaluate this answer through AllExperts, I believe there are four multiple choice questions.

Best of luck,
Mark

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger