Human Resources/Do they care?

I've been working with my current employer for 10 yrs, and I finished my masters degree last year. I asked a benefits administrator in HR if I hould send my transcripts in, and she replied "what for?" Well, I think that having a bunch of people w/o knowing their qualifications/capabilities is like having a shelf full of tools w/o labels nor specs. Is just my company that doesn't care about transcripts or am I wrong? I do know that when new people are hired, they're asked for their college/univ papers...

Thanks in advance

Hello Rick!

Thanks for your question!  Congrats on completing your advanced degree!

Every professional and manager is a company representative, 24/7.  And so here we are, you receive an answer like that from a company professional and your thought is the company may not care about your degree accomplishment. That is a natural reaction and especially so since the answer came from HR, a department that should be sponsoring Talent Management and Career Development.  I find it hard to believe that the company does not care.  You can test that by having a few informal chats with managers you know and respect to test their reactions.  What I really think happened here is that you encountered a HR professional who is a very poor representative of the company, who has little appreciation for employee accomplishment, who has little respect for succession planning, I could keep going.

Then I think of recent magazine articles talking about why HR does not sit at the leadership table, why HR "professionals" are not considered partners, and so on.

You got a bad answer from a mediocre or worse HR representative.  She should have said congrats on your accomplishment, send in the transcript, I'll make sure it is part of your record and I'll let your manager know that it should be reflected in his/her succession planning information. And Ill let the top HR people know as well.

Stay positive, that is a great accomplishment and try not to judge your company by the actions of a few professionals who are not.  Have a chat with your immediate manager about you career ambitions, about next steps in your career path, and the value of the advanced degree to your career at the company.

Have a good holiday!

Thanks for your question!

Mark      IHRCC,LLC  

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger

Any type of question related to domestic and international Human Resources work. My H.R. passions include Compensation design and systems in competitive markets, Health and Safety in Industrial Environments, Performance Management, Talent Management (Hiring, Selection, Employee Development, Compensation, Creating Space, etc.), Communications, Coaching, Counseling, Leadership, and Management. Questions I cannot answer: I am sure there are questions within these categories that I may not be able to answer but my experience below would suggest those would be few.

I own International Human Resources Coaching and Consulting, LLC. Previously, I successfully held corporate executive and management leadership positions from 1979 to 2007 in two $9B+ multi-national corporations. Positions included: Vice President, Human Resources for the Asia Pacific Region, Eaton Corporation; I was based in Shanghai, China. Prior to that assignment, Vice President, Human Resources International and Operations, Eaton World Headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio with global responsibility for Eaton’s Human Resources practices, international assignee management, and Regional Human Resources Directors in Asia Pacific, Europe, and Central and South America. Specifically, my experience spans work at domestic and international locations at the operating plant, division, business unit, and corporate levels and most business scenarios to include startups, closedowns, restructurings, integrations, and ongoing operations. I am an Eaton Business Excellence Assessment Examiner (Malcolm Baldrige based system). I introduced processes and process mapping into the Human Resources environment. I have extensive experience with and working in domestic and international organization matrix structures. In the Asia Pacific region, my responsibilities included, leading the regions H.R. team and processes, managing the H.R. relationship with the corporation, creating and leading the professional and general manager development programs, China’s university relations program and managing the Asia Pacific key leader’s process. I have coached managers and leaders. I am a professional listener, my style open, direct, and focused on leader accountability and employee engagement. In Summary, my career responsibility included more than 60,000 employees, 60 union and union free operations, and 45 countries. I also lived in Korea for two years while in service with the USA’s armed forces.

SCORE – Counselors to Americas Small Business; at various locations I have also belonged to Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and the Chamber of Commerce. I have served on Boards of medical, community and institutional organizations.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University. MBA work Youngstown State University, and University of Bridgeport. University of Tennessee, Lean Manufacturing Certified. Thunderbird School of Global Management, Management Certified.

Corporate level awards for compensation systems, communications campaigns.